SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2015

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2015 20:03:46 -0700
On 04/19/2015 02:23 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 04/19/2015 02:22 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Qoppa PDF Studio Pro 10.0.0
>> Xfce 4.8
>> Scientific Linux 6.6, x64
>>
>> I am using a fill in PDF tax form that doesn't print so good.
>> Qoppa tech support told me that I am missing the font and
>> that the substitute font they grabbed is the problem.
>>
>> So I opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro in a virtual
>> machine (XP).  The font in question is:
>>
>>     Helvetica LT Std
>>     Size 8
>>     Baseline Shift: opt
>>     Bold
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) how do I manage my fonts?
>
> You probably want to read about fontconfig and it's various utilities -
> fc-match, etc.
>
>> 2) where do I go to find this font?
>
> You likely don't, but perhaps find a better match.  The preferred
> provider I believe is currently:
>
> $ fc-match 'Helvetica LT Std'
> DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
>
> Install dejavu-sans-fonts if you don't already have it.  You might also
> search around for 'msttcorefonts' - not sure what MS fonts were provided
> in that old thing.

Hi Orion,

Thank you for helping me with this!

$ fc-match 'Helvetica LT Std'
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

$ rpm -qa \*msttcorefonts\*
msttcorefonts-2.0-2.noarch

I couldn't find 'Helvetica LT Std' in any of my Windows Virtual
Machines.  So I found it on the web, ran it through Virus Total,
and installed it manually.  This was probably as bad choice
of fonts for the IRS to have chosen.  Boy do these
forms look pretty now (the fill in portions).

-T

Here are my notes on how to manually install fonts in Fedora and
Red Hat, Scientific Linux, CentOS:

Scientific Linux 6.x: How to manually install a font(s) globally:

Reference:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/7032/how-do-i-install-fonts-in-fedora/

Note that "#" is "root's" prompt.

1)  download the font(s) and place them in a directory inside
     /usr/share/fonts

     Note: 'Helvetica LT Std' example:

        # cd /usr/fhare/fonts
        # mkdir "Helvetica LT Std"

        Download and unzip contents into the above directory

        Helvetica:

http://www.ephifonts.com/free-helvetica-font-helvetica-lt-std-complete.html

2)  Run "fc-cache -v" to make the system aware of the newly installed
font(s).

     To force the re-generation of apparently up-to-date cache files,
     overriding the timestamp checking, you can issue the -f flag.

       # fc-cache -f -v
       /usr/share/fonts/Helvetica LT Std: caching, new cache contents:
20 fonts, 0 dirs

3) double check with fc-match:

      $ fc-match 'Helvetica LT Std'
      HelveticaLTStd-Roman.otf: "Helvetica LT Std" "Roman"

--
Computers are like air conditioners.