SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2015

From:
Ian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:48:59 +0000
>________________________________

More cutting edge linux distributions such as Ubuntu can have /boot as part of a RAID system, and even on an LVM. I think this is a feature of GRUB2. If you wish to RAID /boot on older dists (AFAIR this applies to SL5 and SL6), you can RAID it but it must be mirrored. AFAIK GRUB doesn't understand the RAID but it looks sufficiently like a regular partition/filesystem that it is able to find what it needs. I don't have a fstab to show you from an older config as I migrated to Ubuntu Server for my Xen machines. I thoroughly tested both these configurations and the machine is able to fully boot with any given drive removed.

Here is an Ubuntu one, plus supporting information, FWIW...

# cat /etc/fstab
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
/dev/mapper/xen2-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/mapper/xen2-swap none            swap    sw              0       0

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
md0 : active raid5 sdc1[2] sda1[0] sdb1[1]
1953258496 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/3] [UUU]

unused devices: <none>
root@xen2:~# pvs
PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
/dev/md0   xen2 lvm2 a-   1.82t 53.18g

root@xen2:~# lvs
LV              VG   Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
--- snip ---
root            xen2 -wi-ao 279.39g
swap            xen2 -wi-ao   7.45g
--- snip ---