SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2015

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:29:41 +0300
Hi ToddAndMargo!

 On 2015.04.13 at 18:26:49 -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote next:

> -T
>
> Wonder if there are any enterprise level SSD's that don't
> need TRIM?

Tons. All Hitachi SSDs, OCZ Interpid and Saber, all Intel DC series SSDs
(based on Intel controllers) and many more. Though I'm not sure that
1) you'll like the prices of enteprise SSDs and 2) for workstation (and
even for many kinds of servers) there is absolutely no point in using
these "enterprise" SSDs. The controller itself isn't more reliable, just
flash chips endure more wear, but the difference (e.g. 100 TB endurance
of normal SSD vs 20 PB endurance of enterprise SSD) makes a difference
only for certain databases and cache (when data on SSD is constantly
refreshed) workloads. So if you exclude the wear factor, the chance of
failure depends on the controller/firmware and is about the same whether
SSD was marked for enterprise or not. And you already got RAID in mind
against these kind of failures anyway.

For nearly all other cases, avoiding SandForce-based SSDs is about all you
need to care about when picking SSD for systems without TRIM. I listed
some model examples in the previous mail.

--

Vladimir