SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2015

From:
"James M. Pulver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James M. Pulver
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:10:22 +0000
I would point out that I'm not sure I've ever really seen the benefit of "Real Raid" except  for the vendor making more money. The only place I've used it is in iSCSI boxes that run everything in firmware.

On all computers / servers, I've always used MDADM on Linux and ZFS on FreeNAS. Both have been excellent for my intended use, though FreeNAS is only at home for ~3 concurrent users, so take that whole thing with a grain of salt. Neither has lost data due to power outages or drive failures.

--
James Pulver
CLASSE Computer Group