SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:54:02 -0400
On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 5:36 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 04/11/2015 11:22 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> RAID is not backup.
>

> Hi Nico,
>
> She is well aware.
>
> And you are correct about goofing a file being
> far more prevalent.
>
> Also, backup needs history, otherwise you can't restore
> after the goofed file gets backed up.  (Often times,
> the user doesn't know they have goofed it up until they
> open it again.)

Yeah, that's why I'm a big user of "rsnapshot". Lightweight,
configurable, and doesn't require complex software packages: I
especially use it for backing up "/etc" for systems where the owners
believe in reconfiguring things locally with no source control.

> You have any favorite hardware RAID controller that is SSD
> friendly?
>
> -T

I've been dealing more with industrial grade virtualization
environments lately, and the vendors or in house support staff for
those got really, really touchy when I asked them for part numbers. I
had good success, and continue to see good reviews, for Adaptec
controllers with *real* RAID, not kind-of-sort-of-software-RAID like a
lot of the older, cheaper LSI and Promise cards I ran into more than 5
years back. And I *loved* 3Ware for performance, but rarely had the
budget for them.

Check the latest reviews for more information, it's been more  than 10
years since I had a test rack for this sort of thing.