SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2015

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2015 02:35:34 +1100
On 14/02/2015 1:12 AM, Connie Sieh wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Steven Haigh wrote:
>
>> Hi Pat & all,
>>
>> With my toying with installing SL7 as a Xen guest, I've found an issue
>> that I'd like to experiment with...
>>
>> Pat: Can you please tell me or point me to how you create the vmlinux /
>> initrd for the pxeboot images?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that I have to turn on the following options:
>> CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=y
>> CONFIG_XEN_KBDDEV_FRONTEND=y
>>
>> As such, I'd like to try building the same vmlinuz / initrd with both
>> those two options enabled.
>>
>> This should allow a proper unattended install of SL7 as a Xen guest. The
>> pain in the backside is that they also have to be enabled in the SL7
>> kernel package that needs to be installed - but I have other ways around
>> that.... (i think).
>
> The compose process uses pungi which calls lorax.  Lorax is part of
> EL/SL 7 . You can run lorax standalone if needed.  Lorax needs a "tree"
> to build against.  Pungi can provide that tree or you could just use a
> existing SL tree.

> # lorax -p $PRODUCT -v $VERSION -r $COMPOSE  -s REPOSITORY OUTPUTDIR
> lorax -p SL -v 7.0 -r BETA -s <sl tree loc>  /srv/compose/$PRODUCT/

Thanks Connie,

I'm a little confused as the documentation I can find is *very* sparce
and not exactly informative on how the whole process works...

Is there a way to just rebuild the kernel without having to rebuilt the
entire anaconda process?

Or on another chain of thought, I have a working kernel that I use for
EL7 as a fully functioning Xen DomU - I'm wondering what I would add to
the initrd to then launch the anaconda installer.... Could this be a
shorter path?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]