SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:02:51 +1100
On 24/10/2014 2:59 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 09:05 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:

>>> What do you have against partitioning the disk?  Loosing the 512-bytes
>>> for the partition table?
>>
>> On some setups it can cause major write degradations in the virtual
>> machine.
>>
>> If you can imaging the disk being set up in 4Kb clusters - which LVM
>> then adheres to - but on the DomU disk with a partition, the alignment
>> for partition data is now 0 + 512 bytes instead of 0.
>>
>> This means a write of 4Kb would write two sectors to the physical disk
>> (first being 512 bytes + 4Kb, the second being the 512 bytes that give
>> us an offset).
>>
>> In lame ASCII art, this means:
>>
>> Plain Disk:
>> 0-----------512-----------1024-----------1536-----------2048 etc
>> Whole disk write:
>> ----------------------------------------------------------> to 4Kb
>> Partitioned disk write:
>> [  part tbl  ]--------------------------------------------> to 4Kb + 512
>> bytes
>>
>> Its good to get your sectors aligned.... Especially when its on a RAID
>> backend that also has a stripe size as well...
>>

> Hmm, that is an issue.  I assume you've tried:
>
> part / --onpart /dev/xvda
>
> You may also be able to partition in %pre manually with GPT or dos with
> your desired alignment.

For the record, I did manage to get this going:
## Wipe the disk completely and use the whole disk in ext4 config.
zerombr
clearpart --all --drives=xvda
part / --fstype="ext4" --onpart=xvda --label=root
bootloader --location=none

One point though is that you have to make your own 'grub.conf' for Xen
to use in booting the system. This isn't really an issue though -
because you only need a template - the kernel updates will update the
template once created.

Now I've got it happening ok - its actually quicker to do a KS install
than it was to untar my xz archive of a template system :)

> Having tried using full disk for things like md raid and lvm in the past
> an gotten burned by loosing most autodetection I've given up on not
> partitioning.

Heh - I'm the other way :)

--
Steven Haigh