SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2014 02:29:19 -0400
On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:40 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 09:09 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I think that this is not a fundamentally RHEL or Scientific Linux
>> issue. This is the result of design decisions in the Gnome development
>> community.
>
> Pardon my misunderstanding -- but it is my impression that the Gnome
> provided with EL N (currently, EL 7) is not the same as the Gnome current
> production version available through the Gnome URL.  Rather, as with
> Firefox, etc., the EL version is behind "current" for reasons of stability
> and "hardening".  In the case of Firefox, I personally use the latest
> production release; however, my understanding is that for systems crucial
> applications, this is not feasible (e.g., glibc), and thus I suspect the
> same holds for gnome or KDE.  If this is the case, then it is an EL issue --
> what features and at what revision level does EL support gnome current?

I'm afraid that Gnome is a bloated serpent's nest of interwoven
features and Unweaving it into something lighter, architecturally
rational, and supportable as individual components would be like
putting handlebars on a Jeep. It might actually work better than the
steering wheel, but it's a lot of extra integration work to maintain
and likely to break with the next upstream revision.