SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2014 21:40:35 -0700
On 10/18/2014 09:09 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> We are attempting to configure the current default (gnome) desktop and work
>> environment on SL 7 .  The release notes do not contain adequate accessible
>> information, nor can we find the information we need in a ready manner.
>> There is a gnome url with many links, such as,
>>
>> https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/
> Feature picking for specific applications and gnome is a nightmare,
> and not worth your time in most cases. Simply insall the full suite to
> avoid the subtle dependency nightmares.
>
>> but there does not seem to be an actual searchable list of
>> functions/applets/functionalities and the settings thereof, let alone what
>> variants EL7 uses, nor does SL7 seem to have any immediate way to find the
>> appropriate RPMs.  For example, add/remove software (on a fresh install --
>> nothing but the default repositories) did not find workspace switcher, but a
>> web search found an EL7 CentOS rpm for this purpose that was installable
>> through the GUI application made available when clicking on the downloaded
>> file in the browser download list.
>>
>> Does anyone have straightforward methods to find this information without a
>> concerted "easter egg" hunt?
>>
>> Yasha Karant
> I think that this is not a fundamentally RHEL or Scientific Linux
> issue. This is the result of design decisions in the Gnome development
> community.
Pardon my misunderstanding -- but it is my impression that the Gnome
provided with EL N (currently, EL 7) is not the same as the Gnome
current production version available through the Gnome URL.  Rather, as
with Firefox, etc., the EL version is behind "current" for reasons of
stability and "hardening".  In the case of Firefox, I personally use the
latest production release; however, my understanding is that for systems
crucial applications, this is not feasible (e.g., glibc), and thus I
suspect the same holds for gnome or KDE.  If this is the case, then it
is an EL issue -- what features and at what revision level does EL
support gnome current?