SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:47:59 -0700
We are attempting to configure the current default (gnome) desktop and
work environment on SL 7 .  The release notes do not contain adequate
accessible information, nor can we find the information we need in a
ready manner.  There is a gnome url with many links, such as,

https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/

but there does not seem to be an actual searchable list of
functions/applets/functionalities and the settings thereof, let alone
what variants EL7 uses, nor does SL7 seem to have any immediate way to
find the appropriate RPMs.  For example, add/remove software (on a fresh
install -- nothing but the default repositories) did not find workspace
switcher, but a web search found an EL7 CentOS rpm for this purpose that
was installable through the GUI application made available when clicking
on the downloaded file in the browser download list.

Does anyone have straightforward methods to find this information
without a concerted "easter egg" hunt?

Yasha Karant