SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 22:02:16 -0700
I have just (successfully) upgraded my workstation from SL 6x to SL 7x
.  Several observations:

I manually configured both the network and the hard drive resources.
Before the actual installation started, there was a warning that I had
not set either the root password or a user account.  I tried to address
these before the actual installation started, after choosing the
partitions for installation of the SL 7 required
applications/directories, but the installer froze with a request to send
an error message to the upstream vendor -- and the sending did not
work.  Upon rebooting and restarting the install, I found that the
partitions/disks had been changed, but no packages installed (I had to
configure the network information, etc., again).  This time I let the
installer install all of the packages, and then assign the root
password, user account, etc.

There are a limited number of default configurations.  However, there
seems to be no way to choose the specific packages to install.  Is the
assumption that these will be done post-install?

Yasha Karant