SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:02:30 -0700
On 10/13/2014 11:18 AM, Gerhard Schneider wrote:
> Am 10.10.2014 09:25, schrieb Yasha Karant:
>
>> We are Nvidia academic "partners" and need to run Nvidia CUDA.  CUDA
>> requires the Nvidia proprietary X11 video driver.  I do not have access
>> to the machine because of campus firewall policy and port closures.  I
>> probably will install the latest Nvidia driver, although I was hoping to
>> not do this until we moved to SL 7 (once it goes to a production -- not
>> beta/testing -- release).
>> Once this is done, I will report if this solves the problem.
> We are running ParaView 4.1.0 64bit (QT version 4.8.2) on more than 20
> machines with NVIDIA driver 334.31 and higher without problems. SL6.5.
>
> GS

Your suggestion indeed solved the problem.   However, I have installed a
later revision as Nvidia has a more
recent production release:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run

Thus, I was chasing a ghost -- the problem really was due to Nvidia.

For those who may need to what to do on a practical basis, here is what
I do:

download the latest production driver from Nvidia

( http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

note that lang=en-us may change depending upon the specifics of your
download, export/import restrictions, etc.)

ctrl-alt-Fx where x is one of the 1 through 7 screens that is not being
used by X11.

su

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg-previous.conf

init 2

change to whatever directory contains the installer file (.run above)

sh ./<whatever file name>.run

go though the various steps until it is done (it may report some errors,
etc.)

reboot

log in

using System -> Preferences -> Nvidia X server settings from the pull
down menu, verify that the X server is the current release
(e.g., 340.32 in this instance).

Yasha Karant