SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 11:45:49 +0200
On 09/10/14 07:30, David G.Miller wrote:
> Allen Wilkinson <aw@...> writes:
>

>> David,
>>
>> Key question is how do I configure network connections with NetworkManager
>> from the command line?
>>
> <SNIP>
> Probably not the answer you want to hear but you don't with EL5 and earlier.
>
> It is possible to work directly with the appropriate configuration files like
> we did in the "good old days" before NetworkMangler.  There were some
> reasonably good how-tos that I followed to get WiFi working on my laptop back
> in 2005.  Getting the original how-to is probably much better than me trying
> to remember what I did.

Actually when you mention it now ... there is this wpa_supplicant which
does the WPA configuration.  I did this many years ago when I ran
Gentoo, long before NetworkManager came along.  IIRC, NetworkManager
uses wpa_supplicant under the hood even nowadays.

This might provide some better clues on the wpa_supplicant config files:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/WpaSupplicant
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wpa_supplicant#WPA2_with_wpa_supplicant

--
kind regards,