SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 02:01:53 -0400
On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:30 AM, David G.Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Allen Wilkinson <aw@...> writes:
>

>> David,
>>
>> Key question is how do I configure network connections with NetworkManager
>> from the command line?
>>
> <SNIP>
> Probably not the answer you want to hear but you don't with EL5 and earlier.
>
> It is possible to work directly with the appropriate configuration files like
> we did in the "good old days" before NetworkMangler.  There were some
> reasonably good how-tos that I followed to get WiFi working on my laptop back
> in 2005.  Getting the original how-to is probably much better than me trying
> to remember what I did.

It also tends to be far more flexible, consistent, and reliable than
letting NetworkManager anywhere *near* your configuraiton files. The
only uses I've found for NetworkManager are for VPN systems, which are
awkward to disalbe and reset from the command line, But setting up
pair bonding, tagged VLAN's,and bridged devices for KVM are only a few
of the problems that are better solved thorugh direct command line
access.