SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2014 01:38:51 +0200
On 07/10/14 13:55, Allen Wilkinson wrote:
> I could use help on the SUBJECT problem.
>
> This is for an old laptop that uses the ipw2200 wifi driver.
> It assigns the wifi to eth1.
>
> eth0 for wired Ethernet is active okay, and I want eth1 active at the
> same time.
>
> ifup eth1 seems to only allow WEP keys successfully.
> NetworkManager never seems to connect at run level 3 using WPA for any
> configuration that I can figure out. nm-tool does show WPA should be
> possible.

Hi Allen,

If you already have configured the network connections using
NetworkManager, it should be fairly possible to start the wireless
network using 'nmcli'.  That's a command line tool for Network Manager.

You most likely need to play around with 'nmcli con'.  F.ex. I have a
wirelss config called 'home'.  So to connect from the command line, I do
this:

  [user@host:~] $ nmcli con up id home

I'll admit, it's a long time since I played with EL5, so it might not be
fully supported.  But on EL6 and newer, this is possible.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth