SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2014 10:27:20 +1100
I have been using dual boot SL6.5 and Windows 7 successfully on my laptop.
The disk setup is:
HD0 - /dev/sda - Seagate - SL6.5
HD1 - /dev/sdb - Toshiba - Windows 7
HD2 - /dev/sdc - MSATA - cache for Windows 7

I replaced the Seagate drive with a spare Seagate and when I tried installing SL7rc2 the installer recognised only the Seagate disk as /dev/sdb - no mention of sda or sdc.
The installation went OK and SL7 booted and ran OK, But I can't access the Windows disk.

I looked at the grub2 configuration and realised that I was completely out of my depth. How could the simplicity of the old grub be so bastardised????
Swapping back to the original Seagate drive gave me back my original setup with no damage done.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get these drives correctly recognised in the SL7 installer and grub2?

Regards
Bill Maidment