SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2014

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:05:52 +0000
On 26/10/14 20:00, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> On 26 October 2014 19:52, Jason Bronner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> You can get away with most playback using the FFMPEG package and VLC Media
>> Player, FFMPEG is generally available on ATRPMS, ELREPO, and RPMFORGE. VLC
>> Media player has a native .RPM for Enterprise Linuxes on videolan.org. Those
>> two seem to bug the least and work the best across platforms for me for
>> playback and encode/decode.
>
> Just a quick correction.
>
> We, the ELRepo Project [1], do not carry an rpm for ffmpeg in our
> repositories. For a reliable source of that utility please check with
> EPEL [2].
>
> Alan.
>
> [1] http://elrepo.org
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

As of a few hours ago I have working SL7 installations of MythTV
(master) and a recent VLC.  The non-SL repos that I have enabled are
epel and li.nux.ro, which says that it aims for compatibility with epel.
  Its spec file for mythtv is an update of that from rpmfusion, which
seems not to offer el7 yet.  I'm expecting to use elrepo too, having
used its SL6 kernels for well over a year - thanks, Alan.

My home-build of MythTV master suffered today from the SL auto-upgrade
feature; rpm version labels need to be constructed with care.

John P