SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2014

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:45:34 +0400
Hi Michael Tiernan!

 On 2014.09.17 at 11:54:42 -0400, Michael Tiernan wrote next:

> Now, just for the sake of curiosity, I'll ask this question because I
> don't know better.
>
> Is there a *good* reason one would want to use rhgb instead of the raw
> text mode? So far, I've not found a good reason of my own discovery so
> I'm going to assume that it's there because of something that I can't
> guess and ask here for opinions.

Well, disabled rhgb (plymouth) != raw text mode. Even without rhgb you
will still get high resolution framebuffer in EL6-7 and any recent
Fedora.

The main purpose of plymouth nowadays is to get seamless boot into X. If
there are any errors, it will switch to text mode to show you error
messages automatically. If you aren't using graphical desktop, there is
no point in using plymouth at all..  If you are, it's nice (I like it on
all the Fedora systems that I use).

--

Vladimir