SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2014

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:18:17 +0400
Hi Pritam Khedekar!

 On 2014.09.17 at 19:25:08 +0530, Pritam Khedekar wrote next:

> It is not recommended to perform default installation. you may use
> kick-start to perform the desired installation or use custom layout. The
> default partitioning is depending upon how much space you are having to
> install SL7/Centos7/RHEL7 distros. Please see developers DOCs.
>
> Default installation is only for testing purpose. It is NOT recommended in
> production environment.

I know what you mean, but this world doesn't work exactly as people hope
it should :)
(for me, it was just a test installation to get familiar with what to
expect from the new installer - I will be reinstalling it anyway before
production).

Many times I've encountered random EL systems (mostly centos) installed
completely "by default" for some simple purpose in some organization
without proper system administrator caring over it, and these systems
"worked" somehow but then requirements changed and someone needed extra
space in some partition and found out that all space was allocated.. It
could be solved by resizing partition before. In EL7, the only way to
get free space is to remove /home. Having senseless defaults and writing
in documentation "it's only for testing purpose!" is always a bad idea
because some people are always going to ignore the documentation.

Now, Red Hat probably doesn't care about such cases because people who
are doing such installations don't plan to buy it and people who do buy
it will do manual partitioning anyway. But, like I said, it's something
to keep in mind. That changing partition scheme after automatic
installation might be more complicated in EL7 compared to EL6 (or
sometimes easier, if done right after installation, because removing
empty /home is easier than resizing /).

--

Vladimir