SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2014

From:
Karel Lang AFD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karel Lang AFD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:43:05 +0200
Hi,
the X server on RHEL 6 can go without xorg.conf while creating needed
parameters for itself 'on the fly' when starts.
But you can still control you X server via custom 'xorg.conf'

e.g. my laptop:

[root@orionis ~]# ls -al /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1748 Jul 30 08:43 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf

e.g. my xorg.conf :

# Xorg configuration

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "Default Layout"
     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     # generated from default
     Identifier     "Mouse0"
     Driver         "mouse"
     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
     Driver         "kbd"
     Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
     Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "Unknown"
     HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
     VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
     Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Videocard0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Videocard0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     SubSection     "Display"
         Viewport    0 0
         Depth       24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

also, you can use 'xinput --list' to list input devices