SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2014

From:
Peter Boy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Boy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:14:35 +0200
A repost from user list on request of Pat:

I tried to install the current (2014-09-15) tree of EL 7 onto a remote EL5 XEN host using a locally installed virt-manager.

The process proceeded up to download  all the initial stuff and to create the virtual machine. While booting the virtual machine the screen used to switch to VNC to work through the anaconda installation process. Instead, the VNC screen remains black, virt-manager shows some activity on the created machine for a while and then it stops and seems to freeze.

If I create a SL 6.5 guest into the same environment using the same procedure everything works fine.

I can even upgrade an SL 6.5 installation to SL7 using the Red Hat tools. That SL7 guest boots and is working without any problem to far. But if you try to connect  virt-manager  to that instance’s console you get just a black screen (but the machine continues to work) .

There are some reports on the internet how to install SL/EL7 on a XEN host using kickstart. Nevertheless, it would be advantageous to be able to connect to a gust using virt-manager console.

PB