SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:02:59 -0700
On 08/30/2014 03:50 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Is there any workaround for the issue below other than moving to SL 7 (once
>> that release goes into production from beta)?
>>
>> ykarant@jb344 Downloads]$ /usr/bin/AfterShotPro2X64
>> Install Path:           /opt/AfterShotPro2(64-bit)
>> LD_PATH:                /opt/AfterShotPro2(64-bit)/lib:
>> XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS: 1
>> ./AfterShotPro: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required
>> by /opt/AfterShotPro2(64-bit)/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
>> ./AfterShotPro: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required
>> by /opt/AfterShotPro2(64-bit)/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
>> ./AfterShotPro: /opt/AfterShotPro2(64-bit)/lib/libuuid.so.1: no version
>> information available (required by /usr/lib64/libSM.so.6)
>> [ykarant@jb344 Downloads]$
>>
>> Yasha Karant
> Since it's commercial software, maybe you could ask *them*?
I already have.  As Corel (which bought Bibble -- strange -- if
corporations are people, and corporations can buy other corporations,
why cannot non-incorporated real human people buy other non-incorporated
real human people -- perhaps because corporations are not people but
merely engines of avarice) effectively was bought by Microsoft a number
of years ago, their technical support for Linux is not superb.
Otherwise, Corel would keep (as does VirtualBox owned by Oracle, a
parent corporation that competes with Red Hat for EL for-profit
"support") versions around that are in fact directly compatible with
most distros. Interestingly, the IA-32 version (32 bit linux) runs fine
under IA-32 SL 6x.

Speaking of which, is there any other workflow package that works as
well or better directly under Linux (I do not mean Photoshop under MS
Windows under VirtualBox under Linux -- I do mean native)?  I have tried
gimp, but the import facilities for imaging vendor proprietary image
formats ("raw", e.g., Nikon NEF) is not as effective.  I do not run Mac
OS X (a typical image manipulation environment) because none of our
primary machines (both fixed workstations as well as laptops) are sold
by Apple and thus it is software piracy in the USA to run Mac OS X on
such machines (Apple will not sell a license for Mac OS X for non-Apple
machines ) -- otherwise Mac OS X with fink or the equivalent might be a
solution.

Yasha Karant