SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:27:39 -0400
Nico
Depending on the role of the particular system and or which company I
was working for at the time I've need one the other or both.
In my current role in the broadcast industry precision with
predictable latency is more important for most of my systems.
That said when I worked in the financial industry it changed based on
what part of the industy I was working for.
The stock exchanges I've worked for cared about precision because it
was more important to them to make sure every one had the same latency
and our logging was accurate for audit purposes.
When I used to work for a managed systems vender for hedge funds they
were all about low latency because the faster they got data in and out
of the exchanges often determined if they had an edge over their
competitors or not. quite literally an extra millisecond could cost
them millions of dollars a second due to the nature of high frequency
trading.

Generally I don't think of real time kernels when I am thinking about
low latency because oftent they increase the latency when dealing with
multiple operations. however the reverse can true if you only have a
box doing one specific task only but that rarely is the case.

By the way one of those stock exchanges is where the VMware engineers
told us never to use their product in production. In fact we had huge
problems with VMware in our development environments because some of
our applications would actually detect the clock instability in the
VMware clocks and would shut themselves down rather than have
inaccurate audit logs. as a result we found we had trouble even using
it in our development environments.

By the way Red hat only told me recently about guaranteeing the
microsecond precision of the clocks in KVM on RHEV and said they have
been doing it in financial for over a year. there are conditions
though such as you need to turn off support for overbooking the CPU
cores. last I checked VMware still says do not use their product
anywhere where you need millisecond accurate clocks.

Further more I dont know about that statement "Anyways, KVM will not
handle latency any better than Vmware." the article you pointed out
talks about VCPU's going in and out of halted states, which is normal
and completely expected in VMware because they always assume you are
going to overbook your CPU cores. there is a slight difference when
you talk about KVM in paravirtualized mode with overbooking disabled
it directly maps the CPU cores the the VM so as long as you don't have
power management enabled the CPU's are always operating at full speed
further more you can directly map PCIe bus address to the VM
(essentially assigning a card on your bus directly to the VM to be
completely managed by its kernel) to reduce latency in other ways to
hardware if you need too.