SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:14:57 -0700
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Vladimir Mosgalin
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi Denice!
>>
>>  On 2014.08.22 at 16:31:42 -0700, Denice wrote next:
>>
>>> This summer our Co-op student, Samuel Lai, wrote a script for us that
>>> implements the systemctl command as a script.  It can be used to manage
>>> many aspects of the init system at SL5 and SL6.
>>>
>>> We have made it available at:
>>>
>>>   http://grid.triumf.ca/share/
>>>
>>> in case you are interested, and you haven't already implemented
>>> your own script.
>>
>> That was certainly a funny idea! Neat.
>> Personally I think that using Fedora is better experience in trying
>> systemd (after all, it has many other aspects like managing system
>> settings with timedatectl/localectl/hostnamectl/etc instead of files in
>> /etc/sysconfig, which might not work as before in systemd-based system),
>> but this is an interesting approach.
>>
>> I checked this rpm, no surprises or malicious code (really, I suggest
>> everyone to check scripts of rpm package and all the files before
>> installing it when downloading some totally random rpm off the net -
>> fortunately, it's pretty simple in this case).
>
> I do like the idea, for testing systemd based tools in Scientific
> Linux 6 based environments. I'd particularly like to see it in EPEL,
> where all RHEL compatible flavors of Linux can benefit.
>
> Getting it to be ubiquitous for SL 6 and SL 5 could make my life
> noticeably easier maintaining backports of things like Subversion, and
> Samba, for SL 6.

If there is anyone on the list who maintains things in EPEL already,
and would like to add this script to their list of managed packages,
then we would be happy to pass it over to them.  Presumably it will
not need many revisions after the first few fixes.  Otherwise it takes
a bit of time to get yourself added into the list of maintainers.
Our student is going back to university, and needs to turn his
attention to other activities.

cheers,
   Denice

--