SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
Rob O'Neale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob O'Neale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:59:29 +0100
On 22/08/14 06:03, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a Windows program
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoscan/
>
> that will find all the MAC address on a Ethernet.
> Last time I used it, it found stuff on 192.168.1.0/24
> and 192.168.88.0/24.  Helped me fix everything so
> they were on the same network.
>
> There is a Linux tarball for autoscan, but I can not
> find an RPM for it.  And, the tarball has no spec
> file in it.
>
> I could really use this functionality on Linux.  As
> far as I can tell, nmap will only locate stuff on
> the current network, not everything on the Ethernet.
>
> Any idea how to do this with nmap or similar?  I
> would really like to use nmap, if I could.
>
> I have tried "overlook fing", but it only finds stuff
> on the current network.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

It's a slightly different approach, but I use arpwatch to passively
monitor arp activity on the network. It creates a log of discovered MAC
addresses and IPs in /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat. It can be configured to
send email alerts when it finds IPs that don't match the local subnet
(see "bogon").

Rob

--
Rob O'Neale