SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 18:44:23 +0200
On 15/08/14 20:40, Walter Hurry wrote:
> I have installed Scientific Linux 6.5 (x86_64) and am most impressed.
>
> One thing is puzzling me: As stock it seems to deliver an sl repository
> (and  sl-security), as well as sl6x and sl6x-security. As far as I can see, sl has
> exactly the same packages as sl6x, and ditto for security.
>
> What's the difference? Do I need both pairs, or can I disable one pair?

With sl/sl-security you will stay on the minor version you are on (f.ex. 6.4,
6.5, etc).  With sl-fastbugs, you'll get more non-security related bug fixes
as well.  To upgrade to the next minor version, you need to follow this
process:  <http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade.6x>

The sl6x*, is basically the same, but will automatically upgrade you to the
latest released minor release.  So if you were on 6.4, enabling the sl6x*
repos will update you to the 6.5 automatically on the next yum update.

If you need the sl6x or not, depends completely on how you prefer your minor
updates to be handled.  On non-critical boxes, I tend to enable sl6x, while on
critical boxes (which cannot afford much down-time), I prefer to only have the
normal sl repos enabled and upgrade to minor versions manually, and
(hopefully) in a more controlled manner.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth