SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
David Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2014 21:25:43 +0100
I have Scientific Linux working OK with the root directory on an old hard
disk.  This is starting to fail so I have installed an SSD and copied the
system to the new disk.

After changing the new /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst to point to the new
partition, the new grub boots OK but Scientific Linux the fails with lots of
red FAILED messages against each step of the boot process.

Two error messages stand out.  The first - essentially the first line printed
says that the libblkid library is missing.  Later there are lots of messages
indicating that the root directory (or at least var and tmp) are mounted read
only.  [Note once I get a working system these directories will be moved back
to a normal disk to save the SSD].

The missing library might indicate that the initramfs fils is corrupt, but I
have used diff on the two boot directories and contents and except for
menu.lst they are the same.  (As libblkid identifies disks, its absence may
explain why the root directory stays read only.)

I have tried to get more information using kernel parameters (i.e. debug) but
it all scrolls past the terminal window too fast to see much.  The shift-pause
button (which should prevent this) does not work because it triggers the
scientific linux startup movie instead.

I have also tried increasing the size of the buffer using log_buf_len=2M and
slow things down using boot_delay=500 but the kernel seems to ignore both
options.

If anyone has any ideas of why the system is not booting I would appreciate
hearing from then.  If not any ideas on how to slow down the boot-up process
or loose the boot up movie would be useful.  Unfortunately I just have the
single unix box so I cannot route the boot log to another machine.

Regards,

David Webb.