SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
Brandon Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brandon Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2014 15:07:28 -0700
On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Brent L. Bates <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>      I'm sorry, but the proven, reliable, and fast file system is XFS,
> NOT ext4.  ext4 is the new kid on the block.  XFS has been around for
> probably 20 YEARS, if not longer.  Half of that time also under Linux.
> ext4 hasn't been around nearly that long.  XFS is the tried and true,
> dependable, reliable, resilient, and fast file system.  I've seen it
> survive hardware crashes and flaky disk drives and keep on going.
> I've used it under both 32bit (not huge disk drives) and 64bit Linux
> with no problems.  I would not use any other file system under Linux
> and if I could, I'd use it under other OS's as well.  It is just that
> good, fast, and reliable.
>
> --
> Brent L. Bates
> Email: [log in to unmask]

Agreed. XFS is the superior filesystem. Its adoption by Red Hat as the
default filesystem in RHEL 7 is simply showing that the Linux
community is catching up to what SGI and IRIX did decades ago by
committing to 64-bit processors (albeit the reasoning behind that is
because it's a whole lot more economical now!).

Running a 4k stack size on a 32-bit kernel and XFS is mostly reliable,
but is notorious for causing stack overflows (typically with high load
and other heavy system utilization). It is for that reason that
upstream has always maintained the position of "Red Hat Enterprise
Linux does not support XFS on 32-bit machines".

Since now that new major releases of RHEL are 64-bit only and Red Hat
is placing emphasis on cloud computing and data storage, XFS becoming
the default filesystem for their products is a logical choice.

Brandon Vincent