SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:15:02 -0700
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 8:11 PM, David Sommerseth
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> I could use Fedora if I must in the manner suggested above, but I would
>>> prefer
>>> OpenSuSE to Fedora.  The other option is to wait for SL7 to leave beta and
>>> become production -- at which time we will routinely update all of our
>>> servers
>>> and workstations to the highest SL production version available (that is,
>>> SL
>>> 7x to replace the SL 6x we currently use).
>>
>> It can probably work as well.  I just demonstrated the yum method, as yum is
>> used in both Fedora and EL.  AFAIK, openSuSE doesn't use yum but zypper, and
>> I don't know how easy it will be to populate a chroot with a openSuSE root.
>>
>> As long as the glibc being installed in the chroot is recent enough to
>> understand the running kernel, this should work fairly well.
> One can also use 'mock' to build a quite complete chroot cage, just for testing.
Assuming that the SL 7 beta goes to production reasonably soon (?), SL 7
is the most straightforward route, as we will
be migrating in any event.  For any major release of EL, we have learned
the demanded methodology of a full overwrite/format/reinstall.
We have learned to keep all "local" and configured applications in
partitions that do not require to be overwritten; thus, we have /usr/local
/opt , /home , and the like, not on a partition that needs to be
rewritten.  We keep copies of /etc. /lib, /usr/lib and the like so
that configuration files that do not require rewriting can simply be
reinstalled after the major release migration.  So long as these are
not configuration files required by the system and that change format,
things work fine (e.g., we reinstall passwd and shadow from the
saved files).

In those cases when the configured application demands the older glibc,
etc., we first attempt a clean rebuild of the application from source --
this generally has worked.