SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2014 02:11:18 +0200
On 31/08/14 10:50, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 08/30/2014 12:17 PM, David Sommerseth wrote:
>> It's a hack ... but you could probably install a newer Fedora or SL7
>> user-space into a chroot and run the application from that chroot. Look at
>> --installroot in yum.  You just need to have the proper repo files handy
>> which yum (outside the chroot) would use - but only when you do the first
>> install. Afterwards, you can use 'yum update' inside the chroot as before.
>>
>> Something along the lines of
>>
>>     yum install --enablerepo fedora --installroot /opt/fedora-root @core
>>
>> (given that you have the fedora repos handy)
>>
>> When that's done, you could just do:
>>
>>       chroot /opt/fedora
>>       yum localinstall $PKG
>>
>> At least in theory :)
>>

> I could use Fedora if I must in the manner suggested above, but I would prefer
> OpenSuSE to Fedora.  The other option is to wait for SL7 to leave beta and
> become production -- at which time we will routinely update all of our servers
> and workstations to the highest SL production version available (that is, SL
> 7x to replace the SL 6x we currently use).

It can probably work as well.  I just demonstrated the yum method, as yum is
used in both Fedora and EL.  AFAIK, openSuSE doesn't use yum but zypper, and I
don't know how easy it will be to populate a chroot with a openSuSE root.

As long as the glibc being installed in the chroot is recent enough to
understand the running kernel, this should work fairly well.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth