SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:16:39 -0400
On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I could use Fedora if I must in the manner suggested above, but I would
> prefer OpenSuSE to Fedora.  The other option is to wait for SL7 to leave
> beta and become production -- at which time we will routinely update all of
> our servers and workstations to the highest SL production version available
> (that is, SL 7x to replace the SL 6x we currently use).

The SL7 beta is stable enough for testing, if not producton. A mass
migration from SL6 to SL7 is not going to be a trivial update, and I'd
urge a complete re-installation. The amount of system configuration
software that will break due to the switch to 'systemd' and the
relocation of "/bin" and "/sbin" to symlinks, and the resource
allocations for the much bulkier Gnome3 are... well, it's enough to
force starting over from scratch.