SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2014

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:47:29 -0500
Scientific Linux 7.0 x86_64 BETA 2 - Aug 8, 2014

== Information ==

Fermilab's intention is to continue the development and support of
Scientific Linux and refine its focus as an operating system for
scientific computing. Today we are announcing a beta release of
Scientific Linux 7.  We continue to develop a stable process for
generating and distributing Scientific Linux, with the intent that
Scientific Linux remains the same high quality operating system the
community has come to expect.

Please do not install Pre-Release software in your production
environment.

CAUTION: THIS IS FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY.

Please review the SL release notes at:
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/x86_64/os/sl-release-notes.html

The Upstream release notes are at:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/index.html

You can find the release at:
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/

NOTE: The 'everything' dvd image requires a Dual-Layer (DL) compatible
       drive for both burning and booting off of.

       The livecd-iso-to-disk utility is able to convert this to USB
       successfully.

       Alternatively you can utilize the dd command to write the
       raw image to a USB device.

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/x86_64/os/sl-release-notes.html#_how_to_make_a_bootable_usb_installer

Send comments/issues/test reports to:

== CHANGES SINCE OUR LAST UPDATE ==

* sl-release
** Now uses absolute paths for %post commands

* sl-logos
** Artwork now correctly sized for large monitors
*** Thanks Patrick Moelands

* SL_gdm_no_user_list
** An rpm for disabling the GDM User Chooser

* kernel/grub2/shim
** These RPMs are a first step towards our Secure Boot implementation.
** We do not yet have the full stack signed, so for this BETA, you will
have to use mokutil to load the SL key

.Example Command
mokutil --import
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/x86_64/os/SECURE-BOOT-KEY-fnal-sl.der
* After release, this step should not be required on any system.

NOTE: The kernels in sl7-security have not been updated with
       secure boot compatibility.

== THINGS NOT YET INCLUDED ==

* OpenAFS
** Stephan Wiesand has offered to build OpenAFS packages for SL7
*** He has a proposal on scientific-linux-devel for a possible packaging
setup.  Interested parties should provide feedback.

* yum-conf-epel
** EPEL is still in BETA and as such we are waiting until things
solidify more in that area before loading the repository config information.

* Secure Boot
** Scientific Linux has joined the UEFI forum with the intent of
providing valid secure boot images.
** This is partially implemented.

== REMAINING QUESTIONS ==

* default tuning
** The current default tuning is the upstream provided 'balanced' from
tuned.  This profile tries to provide even performance for any workload.
  Alternatively we could set the profile to one optimized for IO
intensive workloads.  However, it is less power efficient and less
sensitive to latency.

== In Conclusion ==
Please keep the feedback coming!

For organization sake, I'll ask that package/feature questions be put
into their own email thread.

// vim: set syntax=asciidoc: