SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2014 08:54:24 -0700
Please pardon this additional request for clarification, although to
make my bias clear, I do agree with the analysis of Patrick LoPresti
below (perhaps with somewhat less acidic language).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL#Copyleft

Conversely, if one distributes copies of the work without abiding by the
terms of the GPL (for instance, by keeping the source code secret), he
or she can be sued <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawsuit> by the
original author under copyright law.

End quote.

I am not a JD (or equivalent in any nation-state), but I do teach the
professional computer science ethics course my School ("Department")
uses to meet ABET accreditation.  This includes an article by Stallman
on the concepts of "free" software.  My understanding is that under the
GPL the full source code must be made available -- full, including
whatever is required to "build" the software application.  Thus, the
statement that the actual binaries for non-Red Hat RHEL that are built
(before the actual "clone" distribution that no longer uses the Red Hat
logos, etc.):

  RH sometimes uses an unreleased version
of bar in order to build foo. Rebuilders like CentOS and SL have to
make do with the released version of the bar srpm in order to build
foo.  (From: