SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Andras Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andras Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 11:44:50 +0200
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:50:39 +0100 (BST)
Dr Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, Andras Horvath wrote:
>
> > Anyway I tried to raise those values high again and it seemed to have enter that hanging state at once. Interesting.
> >
> > I also checked the SATA possibility and it's working just fine if no USB is involved in the story. Since I have no more idea, I'll stick with the SATA version.
>
> This
>     http://lwn.net/Articles/467328/
> ("Huge pages, slow drives, and long delays")
> is a little old, but perhaps not too old to be relevant to SL6.
>
> One reply claimed that
>  	watch -n 5 sync
> while accessing the slow drive fixed the problem.

Thank you for your suggestion but if I understand it correctly, the article speaks about times when the desktop stops responding for long or when large chunks of memory disappear. I didn't have either of them. In my case, simple the transfer rate drops (to kbytes/s) and it affects only the USB drive. All the rest of my services run and respond well and the transfer rate is normal for my inner drives that are connected to SATA controller.

Andras