SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2014 00:07:37 -0700
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>>
>>> how much additional RAM and hard drive space is required by this
>>> X86-64 implementation?
>> The memory usage going from 32 to 64bit x86 really depends on the code
>> you run.  My understanding is it boils down to how much of the job's
>> memory is made up of pointers as compared to other data types that are
>> invariant under this bit change.  This can vary a lot and of course it
>> matters what the absolute memory usage is to begin with.  If you are
>> concerned you should benchmark your actual code on both bit'isms.
> It's also *swamped* by the memory and CPU savings of ripping out
> NetworkManager by the roots, and deleting or disab ling most of the
> quite bulky Gnome or KDE toolkits for most users. Pulling out the
> language packages, most of which are entirely unused by anyone with a
> formal education, is another profound savings in system resources,
> including languages for those packages that enable the installed
> languages.
>
> I do a great deal of work in small virtual hosts, and eliminating or
> refusing to use unnecessary graphical or language toolkits is a
> profound resource savings.
Unfortunately, SL7 is to be installed on laptop workstations that must
be used in the field, often with commercial IEEE 802.11 networks that
assume the user has Mac OS X or MS Windows with "automagic" IEEE 802.11
detection and connection methods.  In most cases, unless one "sniffs"
the networks, say with a WLAN survey instrument, the "support" personnel
at many such sites have no idea of the specifics of the 802.11 service
that actually is in use.

Current Network Manager generally seems able to connect to such networks
with no greater difficulty than a Mac OS X or MS Windows end user
experiences.

Likewise, Gnome and KDE are needed, along with at least some portion of
the toolkits thereof.

Yasha Karant