SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2014 23:58:40 -0700
An end user using a pre-compiled package has run into an issue.  The
package requires glibc 2.15, such as glibc-2.15-60.el6.x86_64.rpm that
is available from sourceforge.

Unfortunately, the kernel used on this machine has been modified for
specific special drivers and configurations.  Assuming that the kernel
has not been built against glibc 2.15, is there any relatively simple
way to allow the user application to use the required glibc but to keep
the kernel and related systems binary programs on the glibc against
which the kernel was built?

If this inconsistency for the application program causes the end user
application to crash, we will need to rethink our strategy -- but first
we want to try the simplest solution.  We do not plan to rebuild the
kernel as the system will move to SL 7 as soon as it goes to production
status (presumably within a week or two) -- we have two new 4 Tbyte
enterprise-rated systems drives that will be used for the SL 7 transition.

Yasha Karant