SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2014 09:28:28 -0400
On 07/07/2014 07:45 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

> Just checked, the CentOS 7 ISO image explictely supports "dd" to USB flash.
>
> This is as opposed to the SL6.5 ISO images where "dd" to USB flash are not bootable.

For EL6 I use the livecd-iso-to-disk tool.  For my CentOS 6.5 installer
USB stick, I joined the two DVD images together (using the mkdvdiso.sh
script that has been around for years) and then issued:
livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr CentOS-6.5-x86_64-bin-DVDDL.iso
/dev/sdb

where /dev/sdb is the full disk device for the USB stick.  You can tweak
the mkdvdiso.sh script to add your kickstart file(s) into the iso and
feed it a single iso.  The mkdvdiso.sh script can be found at
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CDtoDVDMedia  (yes, yes, I know it
says CD to DVD media, but I also know that it works with two
single-layer DVD images or even a single DVD image).

The one caveat is that your kickstart is going to have to deal with the
fact that during install the USB stick tends to come up as /dev/sda and
your first hard disk as /dev/sdb, and you need to have anaconda install
the bootloader to /dev/sdb but as if it were the first BIOS drive
(anaconda in interactive mode allows this these days; early EL6 did not
allow this to be done easily).

And yes I know the tool is called livecd-iso-to-disk but it can and does
create installer media; I've been doing it for a while this way.  You
can find the tool in the livecd-tools package from EPEL.