SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 15:04:23 -0400
We have added a number of packages to SL5.10 that we use daily.
The support for video drivers that had worked very well from SL 5 to SL 5.10
went broken in SL 6.2 and remain broken.   It would make another popular
Mother Board.   Fixing this problem was real exercises to get "elrepo" down
loaded and fix all new hardware systems.   We have to support a bunch
of  "mongrel" SL 6.5 systems.

PSpice was a problem and we had to add a lot of lib's to make it function.
So Far we have been able to down load a number of device spice models from
Maxim and build models for some very efficient power conversion devices and a
few VLF circuits for looking at electromagnetic data from storms.

Maple - we have been using it for a long time to some analysis projects. We
are holding our breath to see if it gets broken.

Eagle - 5.11  We have not upgraded this package due to some lib issues.  It
seams they built it using another Linux package.  This allows you to develop
circuits, do a board layout and simulate its performance.   They didn't use
PSpice so we had to build a model conversion tool to fix some format
problems.  It would be helpful if we could get required libs into SL7.

Word processor:  It appears that the latest distributions of LibreOffice
deleted the support and translation of early StarOffice files.   We have been
using StarOffice, openOffice, libreOffice for a long time.   The splintering
of the effort has not helped - its the best advertisement that M$ has for
their office product.  Since there is no way to contact these folks directly
I thought I would publish it here.   Its very evident that the authors and
developers have never worked in a commercial or practical environment.
When looking at our company's files on a server the StarOffice - LibreOffice
is nearing 39 G.  of data we access every so often.   We have been looking
for a scheme to bring them forward - a migration scheme but need to preserve
file date internally.
I have to ask this question of developers - why arbitrarily delete a
capability just because of ignorance.  Be you are offended look up word in
dictionary.
A long time ago it made sense to make a smaller foot print but now since disk
storage is almost free.

Pardon my rule breaking on this subject.

So far we have most systems upgraded to 5.10 and a dozen 6.4 - 6.5.

The SL added packages have been a real asset.   I think we may be one of few
commercial users.

Thank You
Larry Linder