SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:02:07 -0400

Let me put them up at github.com, and give me a day.

> What I will be testing is what changes are needed to our packaged and
> unpackaged applications.
>
> Excuse the basic questions but I'm more of a developer than a sysadmin.  If
> I understand your recommendations the system including user accounts will be
> rebuilt on each boot.  So if I want to work through multiple reboots I could
> put my home directory on an NFS mount and end up with fresh software but the
> same environment. Correct?

That's one workable way, yes. If PXE and kickstart can be set up
correctly, the "kickstart" can even set up your NFS mounted home
directory and local authentication and sudo privileges, and the PXE
can allow a "rebuild me from scratch" option at boot time. that will
select and automatically use the relevant kickstart file. It can even
be set to auto-rebuild every time, if you want.

I've done this a lot for hardware testing, and for building clusters.
One of the limitations is local bandwidth: if you're rebuilding a
bunch of times from the upstream SL 7 Alpha website, well, that's
rude. It's hundereds of megs, possibly  even Gigs, of bandwidth. Set
up a local mirror to pull from instead, and keep *that* updated.