SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2014 08:23:05 -0700
On 07/05/2014 08:03 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> The SL 7 Alpha is running well in PC Virtualbox (my virtualiztion
>>> toolsuite of choice). The add-on tools for more graseful focus
>>> switching and for mouse management are not yet installable, but I
>>> expect that to be fixed upstream by PC Virtualbox, now that RHEL 7 is
>>> in production.
>> I can report it also runs well in and SL6 Virtualbox VM.
>>
>> I saw the firstboot problem report.
>>
>> My question is how often should we download and reinstall from scratch vs
>> using yum update (or autoupdate or cron)?
>>
>> I assume the only reason to download the DVD image is to test changes to the
>> install procedure and yum update will end up with the same installation.
>>
>> I just want to confirm that how best to help the process.
> If you're a weasel and want to save speed and bandwidth:
>
> Set up a local rsync mirror from any of the locally fast upstream
> repositories, and slap a web server in front of it. Use the
> 'netinstall' from th elocal mirror,, or even a PXE setup, not the full
> DVD, to point to the local mirror. Ideally, set up a kickstart file
> too on the local mirror, ideally tied to a the PXE setup.
>
> Then just use the PXE or netinstall ISO to do a kickstarted, network
> based re-install. That way, you don't even have to download the DVD
> images, which are quite builky. If you like, I'll post my download
> scripts....
Thanks Nico,

I would like to see your scripts.

What I will be testing is what changes are needed to our packaged and
unpackaged applications.

Excuse the basic questions but I'm more of a developer than a sysadmin.
If I understand your recommendations the system including user accounts
will be rebuilt on each boot.  So if I want to work through multiple
reboots I could put my home directory on an NFS mount and end up with
fresh software but the same environment. Correct?

Thanks.  I'm sure others in our collaboration will be doing more
extensive tests.

Best,
Joe