SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2014 11:03:13 -0400
On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 07/04/2014 09:12 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Please refrain from posting anything other than testing results of the
>>> released SL packages in this thread. Let's keep this one free of
>>> trolls.
>>>
>>> Akemi
>>
>> The SL 7 Alpha is running well in PC Virtualbox (my virtualiztion
>> toolsuite of choice). The add-on tools for more graseful focus
>> switching and for mouse management are not yet installable, but I
>> expect that to be fixed upstream by PC Virtualbox, now that RHEL 7 is
>> in production.
>
> I can report it also runs well in and SL6 Virtualbox VM.
>
> I saw the firstboot problem report.
>
> My question is how often should we download and reinstall from scratch vs
> using yum update (or autoupdate or cron)?
>
> I assume the only reason to download the DVD image is to test changes to the
> install procedure and yum update will end up with the same installation.
>
> I just want to confirm that how best to help the process.

If you're a weasel and want to save speed and bandwidth:

Set up a local rsync mirror from any of the locally fast upstream
repositories, and slap a web server in front of it. Use the
'netinstall' from th elocal mirror,, or even a PXE setup, not the full
DVD, to point to the local mirror. Ideally, set up a kickstart file
too on the local mirror, ideally tied to a the PXE setup.

Then just use the PXE or netinstall ISO to do a kickstarted, network
based re-install. That way, you don't even have to download the DVD
images, which are quite builky. If you like, I'll post my download
scripts....