SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
John Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:14:24 -0400
Hi,

On 2014-07-28 2:01 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:

>> On 07/27/2014 11:12 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>> Quoting.....
>>>
>>> wget "http://www.overlooksoft.com/packages/download?plat=lx64&ext=rpm"
>>
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> Firefox sees the same thing, but resolves it to a real file
>> name.  I am trying to duplicate that with wget.
>
> Yeah, wget isn't that smart... I've never figured it out - When I know
> the filename, I just use the -O filename option to override the output
> file...

Try:

wget --content-disposition
"http://www.overlooksoft.com/packages/download?plat=lx64&ext=rpm"

The --content-disposition flag causes wget to use the filename provided
by the Content-Disposition HTTP header, if any. It's experimental and
apparently doesn't always work, but in this case, it worked for me. The
man page for wget says:

> --content-disposition If this is set to on, experimental (not
> fully-functional) support for "Content-Disposition" headers is
> enabled. This can currently result in extra round-trips to the server
> for a "HEAD" request, and is known to suffer from a few bugs, which
> is why it is not currently enabled by default.
>
> This option is useful for some file-downloading CGI programs that use
> "Content-Disposition" headers to describe what the name of a
> downloaded file should be.

Cheers, John Roberts
SNOLAB