SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:58:38 -0700

On 07/27/2014 08:44 AM, John Lauro wrote:> If you want to get the mac
addresses configured as different networks or subnetworks, but on the
same phyiscal network the best way would be to query the switches on the
network.

 > A couple of common commands for managed Cisco-like switches is
 > show mac address-table
 > or
 > show bridge address-table
 >
 > but it depends on your switch, and I am sure other switches use other
commands...

 > Best if you run on all switches, as if two devices talk a lot to each
other but nothing else, then only the switches those packets go through
will likely show the address being used.

 > Another option if you can't query all the switches, would be to run
 > tcpdump -en -i eth0 -- broadcast
 >
 > and wait awhile and parse all the results...  should probably run for
at least 30 minutes, but possibly longer if default arp expiration is
larger or are automatically renewed on traffic...

Hi John,

    Thank you!

    No switches to log into.  Just cheezy routers.  I am usually
trying to locate a printer or an access point.

-T