SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2014 00:40:55 -0700
All members of the SL user community (including systems users, not just
endusers) should be very thankful to Jarek for his clear candor.

 From Jarek:

I am speaking for SLC here: no: we are going to use CentOS.

End quote.

At this point, unless Fermilab is planning something else, it appears
that SL fundamentally is "dead".  SL is going to be CentOS, so the SL
non-CERN community might as well switch to CentOS or to license "real"
Red Hat EL for fee.  CERN is no longer willing to invest the resources
(human and "machine") to support a separate distro.  Does Fermilab have
the resources to "go it alone"?  SLC evidently will be CentOS with
specific additional hardware drivers and software applications to meet
the needs of the CERN LHC collaborations, including running the LHC
detectors and data reduction and analysis environment.

The second point also is in this quote from Jarek:

Speaking for SLC here: yes, we could do it (so could SL and anybody
else), but please note: this does not change anything for everybody else
on this list: if somebody decides to distrust Red Hat and CentOS ... why
would that person trust us ? ...

End quote.

Unless the SRPMs distributed by Red Hat are a misrepresentation, a build
from these SRPMs should yield RPMs that are identical (bit for bit,
e.g., under a real binary compare) to the installable RPMs provided by
Red Hat.  Once this is verified, one knows that a build of SL derived
from these SRPMs in fact will be a functionally faithful clone of RHEL
(specific release and versions in the SRPMs -- functionally faithful
because the actual logos, etc., will be different).  Red Hat is a for
profit corporation, providing source, etc., back to the not-for-profit
community only because of a marketing model and/or GPL, etc.,
restrictive covenants (licenses).  However, the for-profit competitors
of Red Hat, notably Oracle, are using RHEL source to build a competitor
linux distro that Oracle evidently distributes without fee.  Thus,
Red Hat now is using CentOS.  Will CentOS be a faithful copy of RHEL?  I
personally fear that it will not be to stymie Oracle and the like.  The
git, etc., mechanism that Red Hat is using presents no obstacle to "deep
pocket" ("well capitalized") for-profits such as Oracle, but only an
inconvenience.  Thus, this model only will work if CentOS lacks some
vital feature, or else Red Hat has elected this path for no clear reason.

However, if CERN and/or Fermilab actually do compare the CentOS git to
the real Red Hat EL SRPMs -- a tedious task unless it can be automated
-- there is no reason in my opinion not to trust the CentOS "EL"
source.  I do trust that CERN and/or Fermilab personnel will do an
honest compare.

I am not being paranoid -- I am simply applying the way for-profit USA
corporations (such as Red Hat, Oracle, Microsoft, and many others)
operate -- and this operation is not in the interest of the commons.
[Aside:  The closest I have found to such a USA corporation recently
operating in the interest of the commons is the apparent promise of
Tesla (electric battery automobiles) to release the fundamental energy
storage and propulsion technology it uses to competitors at no charge.
However, Tesla corporation seems to be the rare exception, not the
rule.]  Please pardon any statements of societal philosophy -- the
practical question is very simple:  can we bet the farm that the new
CentOS "SL" will be a reliable production system in a hostile (under
attack) environment?  If I understand Jarek, CERN is so betting,
presumably to save the cost of RHEL 7 licensing to the governments (and
perhaps private philanthropy at some of the universities participating
in the CERN LHC collaborations) that are funding the experiments.

Yasha Karant