SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:33:03 -0500
I guess I don't understand the part about how files can be different sizes on different filesystems.

They can obviously use up more or less disk space on different filesystems.  For instance, a FAT disk with 32KB clusters will use up a minimum of 32KB even for a 10 byte file.  While NTFS will probably put the 10 bytes in the directory entry or use up a maximum of 4KB for 4KB clusters.

But I don't see why rsync would care about the unused data.  It should just sync the 10 bytes accessible.  I'm ignoring alternate streams here.