SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2014 21:26:42 -0700
On 07/12/2014 06:20 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pat,
>>
>> --modify-window=1
>>        3 hr - 9 sec
>>
>> --modify-window=10
>>        3 hr - 8 sec
>>
>> Rat!  I really though this sounded right
>
> Oh, well...
>
>> Any way to turn of the check sum testing?
>
> Well, there is the "--whole-file" option. But -- and this was news to
> me -- the man page says it is already the default for local copies:
>
>   -W, --whole-file
>                With this option rsync’s delta-transfer algorithm  is  not  used
>                and  the  whole file is sent as-is instead.  The transfer may be
>                faster if this option is used when  the  bandwidth  between  the
>                source  and destination machines is higher than the bandwidth to
>                disk  (especially  when  the  "disk"  is  actually  a  networked
>                filesystem).   This is the default when both the source and des‐
>                tination  are  specified  as  local  paths,  but  only   if   no
>                batch-writing option is in effect.
>
> Are you doing incremental copies here, or are you generally copying an
> entire tree "fresh"?

Hi Pat,

The changes can be random and anywhere.  It is basically
19 years of intellectual property I take with me.  I
write everything down I trouble shoot at a customer's
site.  There is way too much stuff to remember between
Windows, Linux, and Mac.

> Have you tested the speed of a simple "cp -a" or tar/untar?

Not yet.  I was going to test a find the missing file
subroutine next I had a shot at it to see how fast
I could find the removals, since cp won't remove
defunct stuff.

--
Computers are like air conditioners.