SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 22:46:15 -0700
On 07/11/2014 07:25 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> Right, this is almost SSD quality flash, but for some reason, performance for writing small files
> is much worse compared to SSDs. One would think that one could make a USB flash disk
> with same performance as SATA flash (SSD), but perhaps nobody makes the right
> flash controller chip and a dual chip solution is not workable (an SSD flash controller
> behind a USB-to-SATA interface).
>
> More likely, though, is that the USB form factor, power budget and cooling capacity
> does not permit implentation of full-performance flash disks.
>
> One would think that USB3 can provide enough juice, but maybe there are still
> problems with cooling and maybe they do not want to make a device that would
> not work in a USB2 slot...
>

> K.O.

Hi Konstantin,

Price is also an issue.  I is hard for me to get folks to buy
better quality and higher speed flash drives.  They
just don't get the difference and that one is three times
cheaper than yours.  When it finally drives them crazy
waiting on the thing, then I make a sale.

Back to my problem.  I am noticing that it takes forever
to get past large files.  It is like rsync is doing a checksum
on EVERYTHING.  Any way to shut that off?

-T