SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2014 15:44:15 +1000
On 12/07/2014 3:24 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 07/11/2014 01:49 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Try giving the "--size-only" option to rsync.
>>
>> Better yet, try "--modify-window=1". From the rsync man page:
>>
>> --modify-window
>>                When  comparing  two  timestamps, rsync treats the
>> timestamps as
>>                being equal if they differ by no  more  than  the
>> modify-window
>>                value.   This  is  normally  0 (for an exact match),
>> but you may
>>                find it useful to set this to a larger value in some
>> situations.
>>                In  particular,  when  transferring to or from an MS
>> Windows FAT
>>                filesystem (which represents times with a 2-second
>> resolution),
>>                --modify-window=1 is useful (allowing times to differ
>> by up to 1
>>                second).
>>

>>   - Pat
>>

> Hi Pat,
>
> --modify-window=1
>       3 hr - 9 sec
>
> --modify-window=10
>       3 hr - 8 sec
>
> Rat!  I really though this sounded right
>

> I did notice that the bugger the file (with no changes)
> the longer it took.  So, I think they are still doing
> check sums.
>
> Any way to turn of the check sum testing?

Now you're starting to get off task... How can you sync something if you
don't know if it matches? Sure, you can only go off timestamps - but
what then? It leaves you with a situation where you may get files that
are different and you'll never know.

You'd be much better off getting a better flash drive (ie not add hack
upon hack that may not help) and fixing the root cause of the problem.

Hell, get a small laptop HDD and put it in a USB caddy case. Get a small
SSD (they're cheap!) and put that in a case...

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.crc.id.au