SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:20:11 -0700
On 07/11/2014 01:04 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>> On 11 July 2014 13:58, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi All,
>>
>>     I have a bash script for synchronizing a flashing drive (target)
>>     with my hard drive (source) I take to customer sites (with a read
>>     only switch so I don't spread viruses).
>>
>>     I currently "rsync" 11 different directories.  Each sync line
>>     looks like this:
>>
>>     rsync -rv --delete $MyCDsSource/Linux $MyCDsTarget/.; sync; sync
>>
>>     Problem: it is slow -- takes three hours.  To help the
>>     speed issue, I upgraded from USB 2 to USB 3.  Backup went
>>     from 3 hr-15 min to 3 hr-5 min.  It is almost faster
>>     to wipe the stick and rewrite it.
>>

> Depending on the media you are writing to, that might be the right
> solution in anycase.

I when from USB 2 sticks and hubs to SUB sticks and hubs.  Virtually
no performance change.

>>     Anyone  know of a way to speed up rsync?
>>

> So rsync is going to have to read every file on target and host and see
> if various things have changed. Depedning on what the flash is formatted
> as that is going to be a lot slower (journals on flash are evil).

Hard drive is EXT4 and LUKS; flash drive is FAT32

> You
> also have to deal with bus contention and other things when doing a
> massive rsync over USB. [I lose my mouse and keyboard on some systems
> and just go do something else as using them makes the writes much slower.
> Stephen J Smoogen.

That is usually what I do.  Fortunately my computer still works
seamlessly when I am syncing, so I do research, write up
invoices, write you guys, etc..  Takes some planning.  I don't
always get it right.

Thank you for helping me with this,
-T

--