SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:37:41 -0700
For pkgsrc:

http://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/how_to_use_pkgsrc_on_linux/

http://nathanahlstrom.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/netbsd-pkgsrc-on-rhel-6-4/

wget http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc.tar.gz
tar xzvf pkgsrc.tar.gz -C /opt
cd /opt/pkgsrc/bootstrap
./bootstrap --prefix /opt/pkg

Edit your ~/.bash_profile to look like this:

PATH=$PATH:/opt/pkg/bin:/opt/pkg/sbin:$HOME/bin export PATH
# run from the command line to update your PATH. . ~/.bash_profile

End first quote.

Next, I quote, after completing the above steps, an example to get
apache22 :

Now go into /opt/pkgsrc/www/apache22 and as root (or with sudo) run:

bmake install

It will download the source from apache.org mirrors, check the
distribution integrity, compile it all for you, and install it with
sensible defaults into /opt/pkg.

When it completes (it could take 10 minutes or so depending on your
hardware) all the latest Apache HTTPD server will be installed to
/opt/pkg/sbin and /opt/pkg/bin.

End second quote

I have not found a pkgsrc RPM that would automatically install and
configure pkgsrc for an EL system.

What is the answer to a fundamental question:

how secure and authenticated is the pkgsrc repository (non-RPM, but a
repository nonetheless)?

In so as possible, I use SL and related repositories because these in
practice are reasonably secure and authenticated.  I do what I can to
avoid using contaminated/compromised sources or executables, and work as
"root" as secure as is practicable.

Yasha Karant